Monday, June 10, 2013

The Importance of Electrolytes


ELECTROLYTES

March 30, 2013

One of the biggest surprises that I come across over and over again in this journey of cancer is the extreme lack of correlation between medicine and nutrition. It is my belief that the two must work symbiotically in order to create greater end results. However this is not the case and sadly, many people living with cancer who do not have access to this sort of knowledge are in effect, propagating the disease by the lack of nutrition needed to support the body.

Today we had a visit with another one of the revolving primary doctors at LAC-USC's teaching facility. After my mother's last ER bout due to dehydration, he recommended Gatorade to keep her electrolytes up. Gatorade is loaded with sugar and cancer cells come with 92 sugar receptors. When one goes in for a CT Scan, the patient is given glucose to drink because that is what draws the cancer out of their hiding areas. If this is the case, why would I give my mother anything that has sugar in it if I can help it?

So in order to keep up her electrolytes, we are using Essentia water which is infused with electrolytes and has a ph balance of 9.5. Additionally last night I ordered Ultima Replenisher electrolytes so she has added support. I get my Essentia at whole foods but you can order by bulk with free shipping off Amazon and it comes out to about the same price.


Today marks the second day that my mother is able to walk on her own. She went up and down the stairs quite a few times and even startled me because I have gone 49 days seeing my mother confined to only 5 or 6 steps before collapse. All of today was one walking miracle. Every time I looked at her walking, I imprinted the moment as deep into my psyche as I could. I have expected nothing from this journey other than the day. I certainly did not expect after everything we have been through to see her watering plants and hand washing clothes in addition to walking. As the journey of cancer is day by day, moment to moment, today was truly a blessing. That is one of the positive aspects of cancer. It expedites the practice of the power of now and what it is to truly be present in the moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment